Pages

Sunday 23 September 2012

Jubilation - or rather a lack of jubilation

I haven't forgotten my contribution to the last theme but it has been one of those occasions where Plan A  wasn't meant to be.  Having cleared my desk after the Festival of Quilts I was longing to start on the idea I have had almost from the beginning.

I took advice from Heather and Michele on how to transfer images to paper or fabric using acetone.  From the beginning I knew I couldn't use my inkjet printer so dashed into the nearest town to the print shop - only to find it isn't open on a Saturday.  Drat!

Monday morning I dashed down and although they don't have a laser copier it is one that uses toner - should be OK.  I then discover that nail polish remover is acetone but has additives and doesn't work.  Dash out and discover that the local hardware shop doesn't sell pure acetone and I need to go back to the chemist where I have just been.  See what I mean about Plan A being doomed?

Right, now I have toner copies and 100% acetone.  Will it work?  NO!  I have no idea why not.  I am using Tissutex (Abaca paper) - whether that is the problem I don't know and I will not find out because I have given up on this method.  Michele, you pieces are exquisite but I have no idea how you do it.

Project scraps

So, here I am doing Plan B which was something I really hoped I wouldn't have to resort to - using gel medium.  And it is working!  Because I have a slightly complicated, layered collage in mind it is taking longer to do because of having to wait in between the layers for everything to dry twice - once for the medium to dry and then for the damp fabric after I've rubbed off the paper.

Fingers crossed it is going to plan - so far.  I am cautiously optimistic.  Watch this space...

Hilary





3 comments:

  1. I can tell by the little pile of scraps that it is going to be exquisite, HIlary. The transfer with acetone to tissue is very tricky and seems to depend a lot on the amount of toner on the photocopy, and on using the cheapest quality of tissue paper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmm...this is very interesting...can't wait to see what the outcome will be! I appreciate your honesty, your travails and your frustrations...the learning is sometimes the best part of making art. These "back stories" are almost as fun as seeing the finished piece!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have perservered through a frustrating variety of obstacles so I applaud your tenacity.It looks like you are now on to something and we are all very intrigued.Good luck with the fun part.

    ReplyDelete