Pages

Friday 4 November 2011

Diagonale


Pam and I have each entered two pieces into a fundraising auction for Diagonale, a Montreal-based organization for the promotion of textile art. It is a juried event, and they have a very particular aesthetic: very urban, rather conceptual. Neither Pam nor I is a member, but I am somewhat intrigued by them as they are actually a major, francophone, tax-funded group here in Montreal.

Each piece is to be no more than 8 x 8, excluding framing. If accepted, they will be auctioned on December 3 for a minimum of $100 each. The theme is "Jaune".

My first piece is titled "Simple Pleasures". It uses a line drawing I produced in a workshop, when given 30 seconds and required to use my non-dominant hand. Have always liked the drawing, and thought it might be used to illustrate the playful, childlike quality of yellow. It is mounted on a 9 x 9 pre-stretched canvas covered with hand-dyed blue cotton.

The second piece is titled "Insomnia". It was stitched onto Timtex and black felt, and mounted on a 6 x 6 pre-stretched canvas which cannot be seen behind the edges of the piece.

Pleased with myself for getting them both completed with a tight deadline. Will now wait and see whether they're accepted. All pieces juried in will be displayed on their website,
www.artdiagonale.org so you can follow along if you, too, are intrigued.

7 comments:

  1. What interesting pieces Heather. Obviously I can see where the second idea matured from, but I keep going back to your first piece - so simple, and yet so intriguing. Really nice. Hope they get juried in (I'll be amazed if they're not!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the results of drawing with your non-dominant hand Heather, there is a naive quality to it that I find really appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i was with you when you drew that bicycle and loved its serendipitous quality. i knew you would find the perfect opportunity to use it and you did. the background is perfect and the use of stitch so enhances it - a piece well done!
    'insomnia' reminds me of the big piece you did for the medical centre - just as effective. love the colors you chose.
    let's wait and see. a great learning experience - always. thanks for telling us about 'diagonale' heather

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very appealing entries Heather. Amazing small jems and especially like how the negative space patchwork series is evolving. Good luck with both of these!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have always loved this bicycle Heather. What a great way to use it! I hope those Diagonale people like it as much as I do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck with these entries Heather!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The simple naivety of the tricycle appeals to me - spontaneous and childlike. I would happily live with it on my wall.
    The second piece is another winner - whatever you do seems to work.

    Hilary

    ReplyDelete