Pages

Sunday 6 November 2011

Diagonale (2)



'Le papillon' was inspired by a poem written in French by Pavel Friedmann in 1942 the year in which he was deported to Thesienstadt concentration camp. Two years later he was deported to Auschwitz where he died. Following are a few lines from the poem translated into English:
The Butterfly
The last, the very last
So richly, brightly, dazzling yellow.
............
...........
That butterfly was the last one.
Butterflies don't live in here, in the ghetto.

I used photographs of children taken in Theresienstadt concentration camp which I photocopied and then used gel medium to make them into the background. I then used yellow tulle for the butterfly which I stitched and then appliqued over the images. I mounted it over an 8" square canvas board.


The second one 'etoile jaune,' follows on the theme of the first. The jacket and star were machine appliqued onto a raw edged 8 X 8" background onto which I had machine stitched barbed wire fencing. I then glued it onto an 8" square fabric board

I had the pleasure of taking Heather's and my submissions to the gallery to hand in. There is an exciting exhibition on of Barbara Wisnoski's work. She was sitting there and sewing n an old singer treadle machine. I had the pleasure of meeting her and chatting with her. I also saw a room piled high with entries!!

We'll keep you posted!

12 comments:

  1. despite checking every word for spelling and grammar many times, i have just seen a spelling error. sorry.
    in the second line 'Theresienstadt' is incorrectly spelled.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Incredibly powerful pieces, Pam, even more so than your usual. Your compositions are strong too. I will watch with interest to see how they are received.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great piece, Pam. I particularly love your machine quilted fence!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful work Pam, as always. You manage to pack such meaning into such a small space.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ditto Linda F..... such meaning into such a small space. Great pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Strong and powerful work Pam I hope these entries will be seen in the show.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic impact Pam, and very very moving. I hope they will be appreciated. On another note, I have booked Barbara Wisnoski to speak at our evening guild meeting in March and show her work. I hope it will be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What else can I say - Powerful impact. And well done construction. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pam, I am very moved by the pieces. A picture can say a thousand words - and yours do.

    Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  10. PS - when will you two know whether your work has been accepted? H

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't know exactly when we will hear, but the auction itself is on December 2 and 3. I will let you all know if I get a message one way or the other.

    ReplyDelete
  12. One word came immediately to mind when I saw your pieces...POWERFUL...and then when I read the comments by others, they also had the same description. Very effective use of colors and images...thank you for your art that communicates so strongly.

    ReplyDelete