Pages

Wednesday 31 August 2011

Ice cube

When I was reviewing all the pictures of stones that I have taken - from old English churches to Ankor Wat I also came across my iceberg photos from a trip to Newfoundland.    These behemoths are fragments of glaciers thousands of years old which break off and float down, usually disappearing as they pass the coast of Newfoundland.  I then wanted to do a bit of an abstract one such as Lawren Harris, one of our famous Group of Seven, painted.  I'm somewhere in between.


What did please me are the results of painting some dyed fabric with tsukineko inks to darken the sky and roil up the waves.

9 comments:

  1. Yes! I can see why you were so pleased. Great atmosphere - the fabulous colours and light in the ice 'cube' and the grey sky and threatening seas.... Lots of potential for more takes on icebergs I think.

    Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate the different kinds of stitching you've used, and the facets that suggest the shape of the iceberg too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your dramatic colours - conveys the beauty and menace of the ice berg very well. Interesting we have the same subject, but very different results.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This took me back to a presentation by one of our girls who went to the antarctic. You have captured it perfectly. Great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do love the water in yours as well Dianne. Have you used the snow dyed fabrics for the ice?

    ReplyDelete
  6. The water was a dark gray piece of plain dyed Amafu fabric and I used white tsukineko ink to create the waves. I was pleased to see that the ink didn't sink into the fabric. The sky was the same type of fabric, but I wet it before applying the black ink.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a difference the dark fabrics make. It's interesting to see the movement you achieved with the white ink.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your interpretation of a fragment of an iceberg is fascinating! The artfully placed blues give the iceberg its iciness and translucency. Also, the sky and the water reflect each other that makes me think there is a storm looming...brrrrr!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Frightening berg! You certainly have captured a strong feeling of a very cold day.

    ReplyDelete