Pages

Wednesday 31 August 2011

Fragments




What I have attempted to portray here is 'fragments of a life once lived'. It is part 2 of a series, the first one being 'Der Veg' (http://www.treasuresoutofthebox.com/gallery-detail.php?cat=6&ID=1). 'Der Veg' is a journey of a people out of villages they once lived in. Subsequent to leaving these villages, pogroms broke out destroying whatever and whoever remained behind, resulting in 'fragments of a life once lived.'

I have used techniques of collage learned in a workshop with Diane St-Georges.

When designing this piece, I tried to incorporate the principles of composition also covered in the workshop. Once the piece was complete, I saw errors in every principle that I had tried to focus on. I was very disappointed and seriously considered cutting up the piece and stitching the pieces down as 'fragments.'

I tried to remedy some of the errors by collaging more objects as well as adding more highlighting and shading. I am still not happy with the end result. Perhaps the dimensions (12" X 12") is too small for such a huge subject, perhaps I tried to fit too much onto the substrate.

I look forward to constructive criticism from the group as well as others.


Looking forward to seeing the others.

Pamela 

9 comments:

  1. It is a huge subject but this was the ideal opportunity to start on a journey exploring the possibilities. You have portrayed the decaying fragments very well. My one observation would be that the eye is lead out of the picture on the right - was that deliberate?

    It made me think about what I would be leaving behind. What would portray my life?

    Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much visual interest in the piece, Pam, from the text, to the stitching, to the faint image of the map in the background. Perhaps if the household items had been "more shattered", it would lose the sense of left-to-right movement. You needed that movement in Der Veg, but I don't think you wanted it here. Evocative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm looking forward to seeing this in the 'flesh' - your pieces always have so much meaning in the detail. Perhaps I find the initial view to be slightly 'bitty', but I reserve judgement until I've seen it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree there is a lot of visual interest in the piece. Once enlarged I had a better understanding and appreciation of the piece. Very clever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your piece, but it is a monumental subject for such a small space. The background is interesting to look over and the way my eye goes out of the piece with the fragment is symbolic to me of how there really isn't an end to this work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Before I read your description, I looked at your piece and thought 'How sad' - influenced I think by the colouring and the waxing and waning of text and other objects in the background, so something is very right. That said when I looked more I initially found it difficult to 'read' the fragmented objects. As you have said this just may not be the right scale for this subject.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have such emotion in all of your pieces! It is difficult to achieve such deep feelings in art. Your work is so authentic and continues to tell the struggles and stories of so many lives fragmented. Please continue to share your knowledge and passion through your art as it makes us all aware of those who have died and suffered needlessly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well deserving of a series. I hope everyone checks out 'Der Veg'.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pam I can't wait to see this piece. It certainly has a depth of feeling that is very powerful. I can tell there is more to this series and the fragment will inspire you to the next piece .on a larger scale. Congrats

    ReplyDelete