Pages

Wednesday 31 August 2011

Fragments: Tuscany

When I think back to past experiences, travel, adventures, so much of what I remember is fragmentary. Is it like that for everyone? I hope this piece conveys that dream-like quality of memory.

This piece was made using a technique from Jennifer Solon in the recent issue of Quilting Arts, combining collage and stitch. I began with two photos taken during a trip to Tuscany some years ago and a third image of a door taken from a copyright-free website. These were transferred to tissue paper and applied to a cotton background that had been hand-dyed, then treated with mashed potato resist and paint. Stitching, stamping, stenciling and more collage followed.

8 comments:

  1. Tuscany through and through. The colours are just right. The country is overflowing with fragments - of history, of views across fields, hills or roof tops.

    I love the placement of the highlights and the depth you have achieved. Layers and layers of memories merging and re-emerging as in a dream.

    Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful composition Heather, and you have got the feel of a dream.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely beautiful. You have captured the essence, perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how this turned out Heather. Beautiful! Adding the white highlight has brought just the right amount of detail forward from the many layers of interest.Nice composition too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. With your colours, hint of photos and stamping a real sense of old Italian is conveyed. Lots to look at. And I do like the composition of it all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A wonderful evocation of holiday memories, and yes, this is just how my brain works. But you have managed to pull all those memories together in a very cohesive piece.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness, I think I need a Limoncello!! I love Italy! The nuances of color and architecture bring back memories of dining alfresco overlooking an olive garden. Me thinks we should all meet in Italy for a retreat in a country villa...hmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tuscany it is! Oh, how I can relate to the fragmented memories of yesterday and beyond.

    ReplyDelete