Pages

Wednesday 31 August 2011

Fossilized Fly

I had something completely different in mind for "Fragments" until Hilary wondered if anyone would be using the rusted fabric we made at Dianne's cottage retreat. It was an AHA moment for me, seeing as I had created this wonderful rusted synthetic, somewhat slippery and thick upholstery fabric. The next AHA was caused by a new pair of red shoes I bought from Fly London. The fly logo was my inspiration for the fly fragment. This is the first piece I have made on my new Handiquilter Sweet 16. It stitches like a dream. As this posting day arrives, I will be in Scotland for a wedding, possibly without internet, so I am writing this in advance and hoping that the post will appear as scheduled at the end of the month.

8 comments:

  1. How very appropriate using the rust dyed fabric as flies are often found trapped in amber - a very similar colour. I love the inspiration and thinking of fossils. Are insects trapped in amber fossilized - mm, I wonder? The fabric also looks like a very old stained piece of parchment paper. Lots of antiquity here.

    Glad you're loving your Handiquilter - the quilting looks great.

    Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it wonderful when an umprompted remark results in a piece like this? You are obviously becoming very familiar with your new machine Helena, the quilting is great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must "echo" the comment on the quilting, Helena.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you love the machine Helena - I love mine too. A really different interpretation, I'm fascinated by your fly! And what a good feeling to use some of that wonderful rusted fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agree, wonderful way to use the rusted fabric. Unusual interpretation.... or not! Great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to hear the machine is working out so well - so is the quilter - nice work! Great idea to use the rust fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your fly (fossilized and fragments) made me think of the "unnecessary data" my kids would share at the dinner table: pepper contains bits of insects, processed foods have fragments of bugs that we are not aware of...need I go on? HA HA Whether this is true or not, your piece took me back to times shared around our dinner table! That what art does! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great pairing with the rust fabric and fossilized fly.

    ReplyDelete