Pages

Tuesday 31 May 2011

Fresh Flowers

Since I am relatively new to fiber art quilting, I am dedicated to trying different techniques for each challenge (which has become a challenge in itself). My "Fresh Flowers" were inspired by a class that I took from Noriko Endo. I drew my sunflowers on Golden Threads Quilting Paper then stitched it onto my quilt sandwich...design and quilting done at the same time. After pulling off the paper, we were encouraged to paint, stitch or color as desired. I was also experimenting with Zentangle doodling (A method created by Rick Roberts and Maria Thomas, of Zentangle, Inc.) and so I combined the two techniques. I painted the flowers and banner with Fabrico markers andthen free motioned the leaves (no paper and no marking).
I really enjoyed combining these techniques to express this theme. It was "re-freshing" to try new products and to experiment with "fresh" ideas to get a "fresh" new look to my art!

9 comments:

  1. Very impressive, Venetta, especially in close-up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very clever and so many 'fresh' techniques. Delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the centres of your flowers - I find my eyes drawn to them every time I look.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this piece Venetta! Very successful, and as Linda says, the centres really draw you in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lovely combination of techniques. The background of leaves really enhances the flowers, and the centres do keep my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love this piece venetta. your combination of stitch plus fabric is perfectly balanced. lovely choice of colors - they sing 'fresh.'

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely surprise. I love the boldness and brightness of the flowers contrasted with the soft subtleness of the leaves. They are such fun flowers - not at all like Noriko Endo. The zentangling is a perfect compliment. Super.

    Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  8. The fabrico markers are very effective. Your Zentangling is excellent. I took a class doing Zentangle and am hoping to give it a whirl in one of our upcoming challenges. Very nice piece!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now I can see what Zentangling could be used for. Great piece!

    ReplyDelete