Pages

Sunday 13 February 2011

More Journal Quilts - I'm on a roll!

A strange thing has been happening in that not just ideas but almost a compulsion has been driving me over the last few days.  I have several projects on the go and none of them is nearing a deadline (which by my standards is ususally less than a week to go) but for once it was stuff I really wanted to do - not needed to for reasons of deadlines or commercial commitment - but almost needed to for my own satisfaction.  It's quite exciting and even rewarding because I have been able to finish a couple of pieces and I'm pleased with the way they have gone.  This was probably because they were small and quickly achievable - and fun - and I learnt from them.  Oh dear, this is getting deep - so here endeth the lesson!

Following on from the first Ben Nicholson JQ which was monochromatic and dealt with shape (and depth) the next piece is black and white and deals with line and shape.  I had to get to grips with things not being exactly square and trying to balance the piece.  My 'straight' lines are a bit wobbly sadly.

Ben Nicholson painting
Journal Quilt


The third piece introduces colour - but flat colour.  I thought long and hard about how to quilt it.  Whether to treat each area/colour separately and to quilt each differently - or in a different direction, but in the end chose to use invisible thread and just stitch vertical lines and try to let the composition come through strongest.  I almost feel the quilting is a distraction and I don't know how to over come that.  I am still tempted to try it out again and to quilt the areas separately...

Ben Nicholson painting


   
Journal quilt

And finally, just because the idea came into my head and I had taken a very good workshop with Karina Thomson at Summer School two years ago which gave me the technique to achieve it - my extra piece - Crop Circles.  I have been fascinated for a while by the ingenuity of these people and the complex designs they create.  Mine is quite simple but it came out just as I wished.  To achieve the faux chenille I took a wire concrete brush to it and was very brutal.  The stitching in the circles looks just like the flattened crop.

Crop Circles
The final Ben Nicholson will use non flat colour - and maybe paint.  Watch this space.

Oh, and by the way, my structures piece is now fairly formed in my head which is a relief!

Hilary

7 comments:

  1. Blimey - you have been on a roll. I love your interpretations of the paintings, and your crop circle. I've got the overall design for all my journal quilts sorted now, but haven't even started the first one. They might be a project for my month in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your pieces, Hilary. It's all about structure, in its own way, isn't it? So very exciting for you to be "in the zone".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your technique has worked out so well. It's very effective. Maybe I'll resurrect my chenille piece and see if some heavy quilting will help it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just realized I need to comment here for all of them. I think that the way you've quilted the coloured JQ is good because it doesn't distract from the design. Somehow it makes it stronger. What a lot you've accomplished so far this year! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I echo Linda ... you are on a roll. Love them all. To keep the colour quilt flat (in colour) would have meant no stitching as any adds something. Works for me but I can understand it is not your final vision. Love the crop circles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your interpretations of the paintings are wonderful. They reflect the spirit of the original work without being slavish. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a gr8 series you have created. love your interpretation of the art. whilst one can clearly see the style of the artist, your own style shines through very clearly as well. well done dear

    ReplyDelete