Pages

Monday 28 February 2011

Backbone


The "Structures" theme automatically hit home with me. My professional degrees are in Physical Therapy and Exercise Physiology, so what better structure than a backbone! I injured my back my first year at university while doing gymnastics and suffered with pain for 25 years. Then, 12 years ago, I had a surgery that restored me to a pain free life! I love being active, exercising and I train to run 1/2 marathons.
Freezer paper was used for screen printing. I used Tsukineko inks, Seta color dyes and Dyna Flow paints on plain white cotton fabric then followed up with an overall dye using a screen to create texture. The silhouettes are of my children on one of our holidays.

8 comments:

  1. What a joyous piece! All past pain and restricted movement removed. Great interpretation. Would love to see it for real - maybe at Houston?

    Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this piece would be a welcome addition to a physiotherapy office somewhere! A very natural interpretation given your training, Venetta.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very joyous interpretation of pain now removed. Great piece.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a happy piece, and a clever way to draw the spine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your visualisation of the spine. Now, if I only could get rid of my back pain.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a gorgeous piece! The joy of movement is eloquently conveyed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love it venetta - the contrast of the semi rigid spine with such free movement is excellently conveyed. loved your choice of colors. an exciting piece

    ReplyDelete
  8. Backs are such serious things, as anyone who has had something go wrong knows, but this piece shouts fun!
    Love the colours and expression of movement.

    ReplyDelete