Pages

Saturday 15 January 2011

Pictorial Consequences

Well, I've had my head down in front of the sewing machine because I needed to get at least one of the parts ready so that I could write up an instruction sheet and insert photos of the step by step process of adding a sleeve to these pieces.  Contemporary Quilt has a challenge this year for the Festival of Quilts in Birmingham, UK, which is a quilter's version of the children's game of Pictorial Consequences.  This idea came from the Surface Design exhibition of the same name over in Vancouver last year.

The bodies are divided into three 16" squares: head, torso and legs.  It was a bit tricky trying to divide up the body into the number of pieces and sizes that would work hanging on our existing hanging system on walls that are 9' high and potentially behind a table.  Our hanging system has 4" increments so the squares had to be 12", 16" or 20" and the full height not too high or too low for people to appreciate.  The pieces we make will be mixed up and so the resulting creatures/beings will be weird, whacky and wonderfully outlandish.

My little ballerina was fun to make.  Her face is embroidered on my Bernina embroidery unit (much better than me doing it either free hand or drawing it!!!).  I have added the names of ballets and ballet characters into the quilting - just for fun.

Her tutu is 3D and has layers of tulle and organza underneath.  Her tiara is fabric glue with glitter sprinkled on while wet.  Shame about her wrinkly tights but that comes of fusing the fabric down with Bondaweb and then only quilting the background...

As these pieces are sent in this year I will be adding them to our Contemporary Quilt website where you will be able to play with them and create your own combinations (none in yet).

Hilary

5 comments:

  1. So interesting, Hilary! I believe it was Helena who brought this idea to the attention of our little group here in Montreal, with the idea of perhaps staging an exhibit like this at her gallery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I sent Helena the details about the exhibition in Vancouver as she was going there. Margaret Cooter (who you met) was also there at the same time and she went several times to the show.

    Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the sweet face of your ballerina! I had a toy when I was little that switched head, torso and legs on different animals...it created such new and interesting creatures. This exhibit will be so much fun for the viewers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do love this! I was interested when I read the rules to see how dividing the body into thirds would work, and it has worked very well. Can't wait to see more of them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the way she has turned out, creased tights included. Don't you remember those very early days at concerts where there was always one mom who felt the need to dress her child in a pair of tights at least 2 sizes too big to allow for growth! Cannot wait to see the exhibition!

    ReplyDelete