Pages

Tuesday 30 November 2010

Fish Frenzy



As some of you have already put your pieces up I thought I had better do the same! Mine is, as you can see, called Fish Frenzy. It is a phenomenon that occurs when either sharks or dolphins 'herd' the fish into a spiral of thrashing fish and they then swim through them in order to feed - well that is what I understand it to be.

I drew the whole piece first then drew each fish onto my dyed background and started with discharge paste on some to remove the colour, also fabric paint and then some of the fish are appliqued on top give it more depth. I also used fabric paint to create sunlight coming through the water as I wanted to give some variation of colour and texture - I'm not sure if I achieved this but tried to vary the colour of the water and the fish.

7 comments:

  1. the movement, the colors and the gradations thereof - what a swirl, what a frenzy! fascinated by all your techniques - they worked. well done patricia. i like it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Snap, Patricia - but the two couldn't be more different. I wish I had the confidence to paint and you have succeeded beautifully. Wonderful mix of different media.

    Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the variations of colour in the fish, and the way the outline helps to define them. Stitching adds so much movement too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the movement in this, and the way you have worked out each fish to show it's angle in the greater scheme. The colours are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your layering, colors, and stitching makes me feel as if I am on a boat somewhere in the Caribbean with clear water and schools of fish. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful piece Patricia. Amazing technical skills.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very clever, Patricia. The various technigues cleverly used to get your layering.

    ReplyDelete