Pages

Thursday 30 September 2010

Silk Demo Reflection


My Reflection piece is using a technique from a demonstration I attended at the Houston Quilt Festival in 2009 on how to paint on silk fabric.
In order to prevent the paint from bleeding the pattern was stitched with silk thread. I used silk thread for the initial design and then So Fine and Bottom Line thread to do the background fill. The batting is also silk.
I'm not sure why I was so keen to do this process as I've never been a fan of painted wholecloths and painting is not a technique I am comfortable with. However, it sure was fun to do something new!

5 comments:

  1. WOW ! ! Spectacular quilting, Coleen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's great, Colleen, that you were able to stretch your boundaries, to use a technique and materials that felt a little foreign to you, to put to use what you learned at a workshop, and come up with such a lovely piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully executed, Colleen. The silk is reflecting in the picture - I think you got your money's worth in the class if you are able to come up with this.

    Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an amazing piece...your quilting is beautiful. Very brave, in my eyes using silk,

    ReplyDelete
  5. The colouring is very subtle and very effective. The quilting is exquisite! I like it.

    ReplyDelete