Pages

Wednesday 22 September 2010

paper cloth


Yesterday we got together at Linda's place to experiment with paper cloth, and also transfer with medium and organza.

To make the paper cloth, we applied bits of tissue paper, paper napkins and odd bits to plain cotton with matte medium. When I looked at mine again this morning, it struck me that it would be a good engagement gift for my daughter's friend Claire, whom I have known since kindergarten, and who is now a 22-year-old opera singer, engaged to a 22-year-old pianist and conductor. She sang the role of Cleopatra at the Italian national opera school in Rome this summer. I thought this piece had the romance and musical references that would suit her. It's one of these photo galleries I have made before, as you can pop your photos under the ribbons and display them.

The frames I have are all from flea markets and are a little scruffy, so I have painted them cream. Do you think the cream-coloured frame works for this piece, or does it need to be darker?

I am thinking about doing a similar collage to my little suitcases: something romantic and feminine and nostalgic.

4 comments:

  1. Delightful piece. I am sure it will be greatly appreciated. As you ask... if the frame colour is pretty true on the site I personally would have warmed it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I truly admire the way you have taken what we did in our little workshop and finished it into a lovely gift. I often have trouble doing something useful with our pieces. As for the frame, I personally would darken it. PS the printing on organza didn't work at all for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the feedback, Phil and Helena. I will see what we have in the paint cupboard to make the frame a bit darker. I like using what I have on hand for these little projects.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather, it is very, very special and I would love it. As Helena said, we so often have fun and end up with loads of little bits and pieces and rarely get around to creating something with them - well done you.

    As for the frame, I, too would have warmed it up (more creamy) and also possibly made it a tad darker.

    Hilary

    ReplyDelete