Pages

Monday 30 August 2010

Connections at last




I have finally finished my Connections piece.  It has changed a lot in the last couple of days!!

This piece is about my connection with Australia, place of my birth, sometimes not the best place for me to be, but somewhere I am continually drawn back to.

Originally it was to be an entirely paper (fronted) quilt. I stuck pages from an old book together, painted them, sprayed them, splattered them, then put design of gum leaves and blossoms on them.  I have to tell you all this because its not possible to make this out anymore!!

Then I put some reproduction stamps on, in a grid pattern to represent the changes that began with white settlement of this land.  The stamps have aboriginals, kangaroos and wallabies on them.

Next I layered up the quilt with wool wadding, and cloth backing, and stitched the gum leaf and blossom design - and that's when it started to go pear shaped.  The stitching cut through the paper, except where the stamps were.  In what's becoming obvious as a major character flaw, instead of stopping when things werent going right, I kept going!!  LOL!!

So then I got the check fabric, another grid reference, layered it up, quilted it with a gum leaf and blossom overall design, and then in green the block design that had torn the paper, and next I picked up each of the torn elements and lightly glued them in place on the new background.  An enormously tedious task!!


Tulle over the top - too many grid references? - and then restitch the block design in red, trim, deliberately but only slightly off centre, it looks right, but then when you look closely its not -  a reflection of connection - and then bound and finally here!!


OK, I'm going to make my reflections piece a dozen times over or until I'm happy with it, because I now have 2 little quilts I'm not best pleased with!


Catchya
Rosie

5 comments:

  1. It's interesting that you look at your own work, and just see all the problems, whereas I look at it, and see a beautiful little quilt full of meaning. I love it! It has depth, interest and a wonderful feeling of peace and beauty. It's all in the eyes of the beholder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Linda, that's kind.... but I know I could do better on a second try!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. a huge amount of effort with a gr8 result. please post a close up. well done rosie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Rosie,I totally sympathise with the trauma of having things go off at a tangent and spoil your best laid plans! Thanks for sharing the ups and downs - the end result is deceptive - no-one would have guessed the trouble you had. The gum theme brought back memories of going up with them - the wonderful peeling bark and the acorns that we used to make pipes from and smoke!!!! Oops, shouldn't have said that... But the colours and shapes are all there.

    Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that planning things out beforehand is overvalued, and that often the best result comes from adapting to the unexpected. And Rosie, I also think that you need to put that inner critic of yours in its proper place! A lovely piece, very layered in its references and its construction.

    ReplyDelete