Pages

Thursday 1 July 2010

Reflecting on Reflections

My first thought was to challenge myself to make a piece with water reflections - something that has been nagging me for years.  I have often looked at water to try and capture the essence of the way images are broken up by the ripples in water.  That was the instant reaction.  Then I though about reflecting on the past - and what about reflections in a mirror?  Light reflecting off sparkly surfaces?

Although I said about having to wait until the end of September - the intervening months are crammed full with grandchildren, the Festival of Quilts (The UK's Houston), not to mention being involved in organising two exhibitions - one at Hever (Breakthrough quilts) and the other down in Exeter (2010 Journal Quilts).  This weekend is our Summer School and I'm doing a class with Linda Miller  http://www.lindamillerembroideries.co.uk/   
who does lovely thread paintings.  Dianne, you will remember the 'Girl in Lupin field' I started in her class years ago from a card bought in the Art Museum in Quebec City - I think.


 And then there is the quilt I am supposed to enter in the Festival....   Perhaps my reflections quilt should be all about reflecting on whether I need certifying!  Only joking - where would I be without quilting?


Hilary
 

3 comments:

  1. What a nice job you've done. Is your piece the same size as the card? And all freehand? Enjoy your course - it will also be a nice break.

    ReplyDelete
  2. is it all freehand? please tell us how you did it? an excellent start to a gr8 theme

    ReplyDelete
  3. The 'Girl in Lupin Field' is only card size. It is worked in a hoop on heavy weight calico pulled taut like a drum. The image is 'painted' with thread - the whole thing is covered in stitches. The direction of the lines of the stitching create different light reflections so giving the impression of contours and a bit of 'volume/3D'. It's quite intense and needs some control but at the same time I find it satisfying.

    Hilary

    ReplyDelete