Pages

Tuesday 22 June 2010

Introductions



For those of you who don't know me (yet), I am posting some images of recent work. These two pieces, 8" square, were made for a fundraiser at the Centre des Textiles Contemporains de Montreal. They began as gelatin prints, with cheesecloth, ribbon and paper added.

These two began as silk-screened, stamped fabric, with images torn from an encyclopedia and then collaged into place with matte medium. They are for another local fundraiser, and measure 5" x 7".

This piece, 18" square, is the most recent in the series, which I am calling "A Guide to Modern Living". It began as silkscreened, stamped and stenciled cotton, and has had transparent materials, like cheesecloth, organza, abaca tissue and laser-cut paper, added by fusing and collage.


I recently read Jean Wells' book, Intuitive Color and Design, and was intrigued with the possibilities of piecing strips without a ruler. After trying out the technique on two pillows, I made this framed piece as a response to a Challenge from my Ottawa group. We were given photos of woodland plants touched by frost, so the palette was very subdued. Buttons, beads and hand-stitching added some texture.

It has taken me all afternoon to figure out how to post this stuff, so I hope you enjoy it!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my, Heather. What lovely pieces. I particularly love the 'Modern Living' piece - but the Ottawa Challenge piece speaks to me too.

    Thank you for taking the time to introduce yourself so visually.

    Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really, really, really like the textured pieces in the beginning.

    XD

    - Murray

    ReplyDelete