Pages

Sunday 3 January 2010

Staying up to date - creating a feed to our blog

Now that we are all registered, I would like to let you know how to stay up to date with Posts and Comments left by the other members of the group as soon as they are sent.  There is a simple way through what are called RSS feeds.  There are a couple of different systems but it may be simpler if you use the little red/orange square icon on the tool bar at the top of your screen. It has a dot in the left bottom corner and two concentric arcs around the dot.

First go to our blog on the internet  http://12bythedozen.blogspot.com/.  You don't have to sign in.

Now locate the little icon on the internet tool bar and click on it; it will open a window with a box of text with a cream background at the top of this window.  The last line of text in the box is 'Subscribe to this feed'.  Click on this (it has a green plus and a gold star) and another window will pop up. Do not tick the little box which asks you if you want to add this feed to your 'favourites' list.  Then click on 'Subscribe'.  Now you will receive an email every time one of us adds some to our blog.

Another little tip is to open our blog and click on 'Favourites' (gold star in the top left of my screen).  This opens a little box which asks you if you want to 'Add to favourites ...' Click and it will open another window where you click Add.  Now you will have a shortcut link to our blog listed  in 'Favourites' and a click will save you having to remember and type out the full address.

 My apologies if this doesn't apply to you Apple Mac owners.  I'm sure that Rosie and Dianne have already worked this one out.  And some of the members will have some vague idea from the talk/lecture in Houston where RSS feeds were mentioned.

It's awfully quiet out there...

Hilary

3 comments:

  1. Hi Hilary
    It's not working for me. It shows up on my blog, but I can't figure out how to get emails. I'll have to consult my "genius" when she has time.

    Thanks for trying to keep us going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hilary- the RSS instructions didn't work for me either. It said I already had an RSS feed for the blog, but I don't know how, and nothing goes in my e-mail. I will continue to check the blog site, I have it in my favorites. Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmh. I have just established a feed again (part of rebuilding the computer). I had the blog open and it showed up with the little icon in the window where the blog address was showing. My whole browser setting has changed and I have far fewer icons and links showing than before. Anyway I clicked the icon and it asked me where I wanted to link the feed - so I chose Outlook and hey presto, it loaded all the past email notifications in my Outlook account. This was new to me.

    I'll carry on searching for a guide/video which shows the definitive way of doing this but it really is wonderful when it works - you are immediatley notified in your email account that someone has added something . You can either read it in your email account or it gives you a link to the blog on the internet.

    Ellen, you are wonderful for getting to grips with this.

    Hilary

    PS When you type a comment you can always click the 'Subscribe by email' which is just below on the same line as the 'Post comment'. H

    ReplyDelete